Thursday, September 20, 2012

Felt Rose Tutorial

Felt Roses are one of the easiest flowers to make. They're cute on wreaths, head bands, make cute hair clips etc... So here's how it's done. And sorry my pictures aren't the best and I could've included a little more detailed step by step but these will have to do because I had no one to help with the photography part.

FELT ROSES
Materials Needed:
  1. Felt
  2. Hot glue gun
  3. Hot glue sticks
  4. Scissors 
 
 Directions:
  1. Cut a circle out of your felt. It doesn't need to be perfect and it can be whatever size you want as well.
    After you've cut your circle cut a spiral into it. As you can see I pre-cut a bunch of felt into different sizes for varied size flowers, this makes it easier to work through them faster versus doing them one by one.
2. You start your flower from the smaller pointed side. You will put about an inch long bead of hot glue from the point in along the bottom edge of the felt. Then you will fold the pointed edge into the glue.
3. Once your point is folded in you will continue to roll your felt like so in the picture below. I lay down about an inch of hot glue at a time so I can turn a full circle of petals before having to glue again.

 4. You will continue this process through all the material. You can get creative and make the petals look more unique as you go by folding the edges over and hot gluing them down as well, this gives it a little more realistic look and hides some of the raw edges. Although you don't really have to worry about raw edges with felt since it stays together but you will want to make sure you have decent scissors you're cutting with or it does mangle the felt.

 This is another technique I use to get more of a realistic look in my flowers. I lay down an inch of glue and then before laying the petal down I pinch part of the felt together let that dry for a second and continue to lay down the rest of the glued area.

 Here's another view on the pinched effect above. Make sure to let it dry before moving on or it falls apart.

 Continue all the steps and keep rotating your flower. Feel free to jump back and forth between the different folds as well. That is what I did in this flower.

 5. Once you have come to the end of your spiral where the round circle part is you will cover it in hot glue. This closes in the bottoms and also gives an extra layer of glue to all your petals so they don't fall apart. Press the glued circle into the bottom of the flower and let dry.

 It will look something like this when you are done. If any pieces feel loose you can easily go back at this time and put dabs of glues in areas where you feel it's needed.

 6. This step is optional depending if you want leaf petals or not. I took a scrap piece of green felt and cut leaf shapes out. Once again they don't have to be perfect, I free handed mine.

 This is what my leaves look like. I went with three, that's how many I usually put on my flowers. I always like an odd amount of leafs.

 7. Find the placement for your leaves and the glue them to the bottom of your flower. I just put on dot of hot glue on the tip of my leaf because you don't want it to spill over and onto your flower petals.

 And this is how the flower turns out in the end. I use my flowers for various things such as hair clips for little girls or I put them on holiday wreaths... They're cute and can go on just about anything and they only take about 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment