Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Indians & Cowgirls

Ok so as seen in my last posts I made my oldest an Indian costume for Halloween. So to go along with it I decided to dress my infant as the cowgirl. This costume was also cheap and easy to make.

Materials:
1. Long sleeve onesie (Walmart for $3)
2. Two red bandanas (Walmart for $2)
3. Blue filigree embossed felt and yellow felt (Walmart $3)
4. White ruffle (Walmart $3)
5. Hat (Build-a-bear $5)
6. Hot glue gun
7. Hot glue sticks
8. Sewing machine
9. Black puffy paint
10. Elastic

*Note previous to making this costume I already owned a lot of the things needed to make this costume, so it's possible it could cost you a lot more than it did for me.

How to make costume:

1. I cut out the sheriff star (actually my husband did, he was stoked to hep with the costumes) and wrote the name with puffy paint so it could dry.
2. I cut out the vest pieces. I simply laid my felt down on the indie and eyeballed it and once I had one side cut I reversed it and placed it down on the felt and re-cut the exact same shape.
3. I hot glued the vest down. I tucked the top of the vest under the shoulder caps on the onesie so it'd still be easy to get the baby in and out of it. The I hot glued the sheriff badge to the vest. After everything was set I used puffy paint to make stitch lines around the edge of the vest for extra detail. Then set this aside to dry, this piece of the costume is done.
4. I unfolded one of my bandanas and cut right along the already existing crease (the longest one) giving me two matching rectangles.
5. I folded down the cut/raw edge about an inch and pinned it. Do this on both pieces. Then sew a seam about a 1/4 inch in all the way across and about a 1/4 inch down sew another seam parallel to the one before. Make sure you are back stitching at the beginning and end to make sure your piece holds together. Do this two both pieces.
6. This is where you add the ruffle. Cut two strips the length of each bandana pattern. Then pin the along bottom edge of each piece of your skirt. See each ruffle to skirt.
7. Depending on size of child cut a strip of elastic to now feed through the lining you just made. For my infant I chose to go with elastic about 2/3 of the length of the bandana strip. Make sure to cut one strip of elastic for each side. Then stick of safety pin in the end of your elastic strip (this makes it easier to feed through) and feed elastic through casing. Make sure not to let go of ends or your elastic will disappear into the casing. Once I finished this part I did a quick stitch going through each side of the elastic vertically to hold them in place. Do this to both pieces of bandana.
8. Match skirt pieces up facing right side in. Pin each side about an inch in evenly down the sides. Then sew a zig zag stitch straight down the sides making sure to back stitch at the top and bottom and making sure to run through the elastic as well. Do this to both sides.
9. Trim up excess material and strings hanging but make sure not to cut to close so you don't cut material or stitching. Turn inside out and ta-da! Your skirt is done.
10. Take your second bandana and cut one of the corners off. I eyeballed mine at what I thought would be big enough to tie like a bib around my daughter. Then fold over raw edge and sew a seam.

And your costume is all done! Easy as that! So here's how it came out!


No comments:

Post a Comment